Re: Online Backup? Which one?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Online Backup? Which one?
From: Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:23:57 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=BRirJOfSehziSnwkx34Qc1PeNdkeWVN2VxtxOQaTvXU=; b=iYyzyRsQ2+zJOzSiJiLKG6/NWET+qXtxafVv0yXs2PFgp8qByX4aKWt45dOb1lDgqy pWM1q5JP/av3BZweUq3olnlu9Otc9A+T2JNbs+UnKYZMBJEa2kROwUfo/UYqDwSZsGRu gVkm7JZ6OD8lCrpMVx/ffta2hhmYTn5tiHZI86xwHTal2H3x5sMjk0MllUlzwfHRdOAq z3L1LcXe0wmIlzZQy1qVZgQuz5qDyRsME4oWUkHomvyqOTdpT+mq6hXfglDIqX2jfRGB v+AjOJbZzxvr9u1WIPBj11A6bH5mZdP5UPZYgVHILOosfGvYq6SiRZIscVeUf2//l/q6 E0ag==
I can't imagine that you're creating (or replacing) THAT MUCH new content every week! :o

Your backup software SHOULD have an "incremental" backup option, which would only copy the files that were CHANGED since the last backup. That saves OODLES of time. :) (I have one of those running on some production machines.)

I do a weekly, supervised, manual backup of the audio files that have changed since the previous week. It's seldom more than 100 gigs, which backs up to NAS in less about 10~15 minutes. (Everything is uncompressed, CD quality WAV) This way, even if the worst-case scenario were to occur, my backups are completely safe, as they are on an unpowered device.

BTW, I've also seen 6+ hour backups, when copying an entire TB drive. I just start it, and walk away, checking up on it now and then. Having a spare "workhorse" computer in the shop is a very handy thing. :) Any machine from a 1Ghz P3 on up, is adequate.

You and your team will be in my prayers!

God bless!!

Willie...