Re: Online Backup? Which one?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Online Backup? Which one?
From: Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:02:34 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=GNehoQIm2uwyfqNpKZQ2zZ9b4FrAlZj5X8Kx3AzD8GU=; b=HJ3VEgaRc7xffMk3G9p62xpQezfOFCb0nuVW8E/oYNrGzlQ5OZaZD9HBYS8xHb2l9l 1TqddRa90NHBuE3e2GT+o/zCyCc47UGqSjLOkKRK/Dvz+nFJpFXj1BsHgvfBaBFQVf2q MYpB7UgP84zaIsWBCYXAAVwrQUhCV0hxkKsG4WOP8uLxpPz3TotZezhthPSkFaOkzjyw BcC22SZrNkaCegL/G5+ed9DZs5++aTuuqwCDRONVS39oAM2AIQ31dshsqL2ZKr85Ggjp IpOq31sR25OrBB3pxJP1gnkgXVhzOEL5wZQz/Rz2knazSLT3dVe1yRbt+wm++ANfLxNn pi7Q==
First, I am so sorry that you had to endure that!! :o

I HIGHLY recommend an external USB drive. (Or NAS; Network Attached Storage.) Back everything up to it, and then disconnect it. Only connect it to make a new backup. They are very economical, even in 3TB sizes. I make weekly backups of all audio files, and keep backups of the OS of every computer, duplicated on two separate USB drives. (You can never have too many backups!) This has saved my bacon again and again! (Usually due to failing HD's, not viruses.)

Using a USB (or NAS) drive leaves you in 100% control of your files... and not at the mercy of "the Cloud". What if your Internet is down, or running slowly? A USB3 port is VERY fast, and USB2 is certainly faster than MOST Internet connections. :)

If it isn't, already, your Broadcast computers should be completely isolated from the rest of the office, and the Internet. One or two dedicated machines, with dual LAN cards, can serve as FTP interfaces for program downloads, etc, as long as they have good antivirus software.

My hard-earned 3c worth. :)

Willie...