Re: Another Public File Question
To: crtech@crtech.org
Subject: Re: Another Public File Question
From: Andy Larsen <andy@whwl.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 11:46:50 -0500

Alan,

Thanks very much for this information! I printed a copy of the WRVM document for reference.

On 3/1/2018 11:30 AM, Alan Kilgore wrote:
Hello, Andy.

I can't quote it right now, but there is a requirement to have it in your local PIF or local FIF (FCC Inspection File). But for the OPIF, the FCC allows you to follow the Ownership Report requirement for simply listing the Agreements and Documents along with a statement that a copy will be provided upon request.

You can look at our WRVM OPIF under Ownership Reports/Additional Documents/Contracts and Agreements where we have such a statement.

Having said that, I recall having read that the FCC may soon drop that requirement in the future. But for now, it is required. I think there are a lot of stations that have ignored that point. I commend you for catching it.

The FCC has stated that they are not planning to immediately audit the OPIF for violations but that for those who don't catch up in a reasonable time it could become an issue at renewal time, during a routine audit later or if there is a complaint prompting them to examine the OPIF. There is a statement similar to that in the OPIF FAQ that a person at the FCC explained to me over the phone early this week.