Re: Ubiquiti ethernet radios
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Ubiquiti ethernet radios
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 20:57:44 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=kYYXbxJI0nERWlEqYW9z9zvJ6FpGKORrIVwHuwVtawg=; b=RqnJNi6FfKIXfIvBb1XRkjE+c+he656bbU94l2AvB5vkmS9mYQgDI1uwDF2BL1HfCA ja9/5tR8Vonl6FjHp9PzWxIVFZpZgpm7sDBASArILG415CU8t9pyqmZTAv5uCruhiIz6 r82ttTeoRSBgNX3o1rm13s5b3R5Plohgcmk9mfzwrA1vURf1OwQHAcdQo+4z9cUdqtnF Lp3ktmuLrigxQKRRIqNUg0zczygT+Oqjs2zr44EMsd/ecNmAGVtYSwuDrpF4A8+DDtEz U8gt1/BCzU72TrUk9E4rhRvb2bT/1+tq/vxv885qIoxCE5pLZt6DOCmrNNmVOkknEE/2 yQiw==
I've used a number of the Ubiquiti radios in various configurations.

Normally I use the Powerbeam M5-400 radios and order the optional radomes for the dish antenna (here in ice country that seems like a good idea). That's for anything over couple of miles.

For short hops between buildings and up to about two miles I have used a bunch of the Nanostation M5 panel radios.

I have one 2.4GHz, three radio setup running in an Iowa market. There are three Powerbeam M2-400 radios on the net. The AP is at the FM tower where the translator for our AM station is located. The clients are at the old studio (AM site) and the new studio (downtown). The path isn't far, about seven miles for the longer one, about three miles for the closer, and I turn the radios down on the theory that not running them at full bore might extend the life of the output sections of the RF chips. Well to my surprise the AM site radio just died about a month ago. Failed catastrophically for no apparent reason. The web server was still accessible and the thing *thought* it was running, but there was no RF output. Swapped it with a replacement radio after restoring my saved config and the thing went right to work after I added the new MAC address to the ACL.

That's the first real hardware problem I've had with any of the Ubiquiti systems over several years of using them for various purposes.

I have had a couple of instances where interference caused us issues and we had to find a better frequency. The AirView utility is great for that once you get your computer running Java with the proper (in)security settings so it will run the program without a current SSL certificate. Make sure you run the utility at both ends and pick the frequency with the best results on both ends.

They also have a newer version of these radios with a more discriminating dish antenna, something that might help you in a busy 5.8GHz radio environment.

Mark
MN