Re: Smart Meters?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Smart Meters?
From: Alan Kilgore <wrvm.engineer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 20:28:19 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=ndsczyW++cBLCOJWC/ZrYhQJ0LEA6btfOx4ZpXmyhMk=; b=jkOoZ342+uu+9itZnVQbmzEk4jjMz4/VzOJZs6G/uRnRCyUA+M92Oi5gWWq/PFUSwj Nkx3xwWMmwVJvMG68c8BVMT4wSkJc34GxmXHgBRTl1oKiSE38Ms4ZPpc0uT9KFeN4Gqg XrLVxLJ71216NqWd+OPv5EtiCgGghREV82ztY1o4XSqf4kRpRiCC55bxKJsYF9WdBvmR +cUWbCDJCAGqSEUUYCppxGqYFwYLDUcsrujGd8+wJnHIyLyDk134jPsxTtox9UDYfBPW OczVAiKwO5U8iVOhSg0Jfk6h4EjhmHi06RFGLwKgVzvpUpdllYkPhUcGxMKyF7JuMgaw 3dkg==
Last September we had new service installed at a tower we installed for an FM translator. They billed us about 12 times what we had actually used. They remotely read it again after I complained. The service drew the same current 24/7, I knew the date and time it was turned on, I had measured the usage with my poirtable Kill-A-Watt meter and I saw the utility meter read all zeros when I turned on the translator. So,I could tell them what it should read at any point in time after that.

I called the utility yet again, asking them to read it remotely while I waited on the phone. Their number was way off. When I told them how much it should read, they said they would have their supervisor call me back. The site was a 2 hour drive from the office where I was located. So, while I was waiting for the return call, I called my assistant who lives about 5 miles from the site. He drove over and confirmed that the meter face agreed with my calculation within a tiny percent. When the supervisor's call arrived, I explained what we had done and told him that the smart meter was just fine; something was simply lying to their remote equipment. He assured me that a technician would find the problem. The next day, I received a call confirming that they were now getting the correct numbers from their smart meter.

Problem solved!