RE: Touchscreens?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Touchscreens?
From: Mike Shane <mshane@salemomaha.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:46:51 +0000
Accept-language: en-US

We have ELO screens in 3 of 5 studios, a total of 4 touchscreens because 1 studio has an extended screen.  I spend some time in one of the no-touchscreen studios and I always find myself tapping the screen!  So I guess I, at least, like them.

It may be because others don’t use them much that they stay pretty clean.  Ours will allow cleaning if you shut them off and they come back up fast.  Have had little problem with false triggering.  The one thing I have encountered that gives me pause is if I hit a button on the screen that closes a window, if I hang there for not very long (several milliseconds) I will start the thing that appears underneath (usually an array button).  The mouse generally doesn’t do that, although it could if its contacts were getting unreliable.

As to reliability, the ELO’s have been great so far.  That’s going on 11 years with only one power supply failure so far.  Odd thing about that unit: since the power supply replacement, when you turn it off, the screen now goes white instead of black, but otherwise functions the same as the others.

In any case, and especially with the double screen in the one studio, it is easy to lose sight of where the mouse is on the screen.  This is easily fixed with a touchscreen.  You can either hit a button right now, or if you just want to get close to something, hit a nearby inactive part of the screen and you’ve found the mouse.

Having wireless mice without a touchscreen can be quite upsetting when the batteries inevitably die.  At minimum, I keep batteries handy in those studios.

Mike Shane

Salem Media Group Omaha