RE: C-Band Spectrum Grab
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: C-Band Spectrum Grab
From: Mike Shane <mshane@salemomaha.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 02:10:25 +0000
Accept-language: en-US

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but there is a parallel here with an action the FCC took years ago.  In that proceeding, UPS (United Parcel Service, not the power supply! the business built on the illegal practice of double parking) wanted to use 219-222 MHz for a mobile radio system, which was never built out BTW.  One of the “expert” commissioners pulled out the ARRL Repeater Directory and concluded that all the amateur radio activity in the 220-225 MHz band was above 222.  Well, duh, of course all the REPEATERS were above 222.  That’s what the “gentlemen’s agreement” band plan called for.  There was no publication to which one could turn to find out what kind of occupancy the lower two MHz had.

So, ignoring that inconvenient fact, the 220-222 segment was removed from the amateur service and given over to this private industry spectrum grab, which I understand they did not build out.  It didn’t hurt their cause that one of the Commissioners was a former executive at UPS.  Can you say “Conflict of Interest”?

Here Michael O’Rielly whipped out the license database for a service that no longer requires registration of receive stations to say that only 1500 users are using the spectrum.

Mr. O’Rielly needs to get a clue and have a heart-to-heart chat with some broadcasters as well as fellow commish Ajit Pai.  It would be hard for me to believe (but not impossible) that Mr. Pai has no clue as to how important the 3.7-4.2 GHz band is to over 10,000 broadcasters, particularly the AM broadcasters he so wants to help.

Mike Shane

Omaha