Re: Wave File Normalization Software
To: crtech@crtech.org
Subject: Re: Wave File Normalization Software
From: Terry Cowan <tcowan@knlr.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 17:32:07 -0800

Kevin,

As you probably know all normalizing will do is find the peak and adjust everything else accordingly.  If the level of the original material is "all over the place" or if there is a transient peak anywhere in the recording it may end up worse off than it is now.

The better way would be to run the recordings through a "limiter or compressor" either hardware or software but that would take a lot of time.  I'm not aware of software that will do batch limiting although someone else on the list might.

Terry Cowan

KNLR/KNLX