Re: early automation [off topic]
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: early automation [off topic]
From: Pat Wahl <pwahl@wwib.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 13:54:14 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=wwib-com.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=YESJEIPUQLGzDlJ6u9MLzyl4XxbhSc+5weu8+nuCWT4=; b=vey4IEqWBBGTFIj7akNO8/I3OpU3suoImreJAygY5AMdtcYdK/gPwCmOlyEZOEwrH7 ZBpbotIHFaImULjF99hEpp7GIuesIZ/0mooQmYjvj1HYaHUR20jIKhpgUGXEIDF7ELpQ RaI92X4dK4OmzL50U3a+VRSzI3oDUqAOBK+/h7Mp0u+AmX5Mv5JhT77QAdAUYn3AzAXi sOlRq62dbEED2x8HX9F2CqKw9VhvRRNDzVLIpzC0H4nHQ1JGaW2GAW32XzrbZBwPbgMV klpQt6LciJYX5UkcmyBZuaxGw0s17EEIMk1yyUztWcHcD2qdRIUvENRIJbvgJblO3PMw oCSg==
Mark A. That was so fun to read; maybe not so much fun to live through!
My memories were a slightly newer vintage of "Syste-mation" with stacks of Tascam 234 4-track cassettes and Commodore 64 computers. I still have a 234 here in my office for those who have the Audacity to ask me to digitize their favorite memories of the 1980s. The cassette decks were extraordinary: I think they were $2500 each, and with the pro-grade dbx noise reduction, the noise floor supposedly rivaled compact discs. But, the automation control circuitry was all in a cage of socketed ICs and ribbon cables, a Red Green combination of broadcast engineering "genius," Radio Shack parts, and held together with baling wire/bubble-gum/duct tape. Super-sensitive to static electricity and power spikes. Doesn't take me too much reminiscence to agree with you ... also glad those days are gone!

Pat Wahl
Chippewa Falls, WI