Re: early automation [off topic]
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: early automation [off topic]
From: Mike Shane <mshane@salemomaha.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 18:57:41 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Is it a 903?  I worked with a few of those and an 800 before that.

Mike Shane
Omaha

On Feb 5, 2018, at 12:00, John Stortz <ka4flx@gmail.com> wrote:

Any pictures available?

John S.

 A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
*~Unknown Wise Guy~

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Bill Hurne <billhurne@pilgrimradio.com> wrote:

Anyone have experience with a Shaffer automation system?   I had an old one given to me but never put it into service.   It was a rack of gear that could control network switching, R2R’s, carousel cart machines, etc.  A large number of socketed ICs.   Programed by keyboard and a seven segment Nixie tube display if I recall correctly.

Back in the day I used the MBN satellite relay pulses to trigger cart carousels to play local spots in the MBN breaks.  The carousels were set up to auto advance to the next cart after airing.  One carousel loaded with 30 second carts, another carousel with 60 second carts, and one cart machine to air hourly IDs.  MBN also sent a relay to trigger the top of the hour ID cart.   Built 555 timers to mute the network during the spot rather than mess with cart cue tones.  All this without computer.   Worked really nice except for when a carousel sometimes jammed.

The station had to migrate to computer automation when Moody began sending the same relay for 30 second, 60 second, and 2 minute breaks.

Bill