Re: Early Automation system nostalgia (was:why I like assembly (And CRTECH))
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Early Automation system nostalgia (was:why I like assembly (And CRTECH))
From: John Stortz <ka4flx@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 13:11:57 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=bDptEPw2RTWDut8OaphkB+cLdOgiH4adJEUWpsNzP+o=; b=JlVSexrqs9o8+iSwViEy1U84LvEQOjaozFz9lU5gyHYrvrzoIi7UAimwihVhTR80ut v9o6wVmt48Pj1tCT1usntlOEDUZPJ6dg79iMYSNcEMjJn7HihnVEchfOCMmHcxaHkp8w CqiKIYkPINHJt055Kr9/8dXkgPs0Krl+wT0hwByhiT8SONJ89ec7nzUKf7QPgZM3F8yq o5WuOtNEPnz1fk5QwzZqPBY8LzYFMKuuGky6zsnG3/i4zdIhoSCayyl1A56Mj4W5CfmY cpxuSmR8pZ0sz7enP4zTUGWsWir52g5calZTHp/n2Dn/s/39z0uRhkZ5cyObFJ8Chw4i M6eg==
When I arrived at WKES, there was a Gates SP-10 automation system operating, which was designed similar to rotary dial telephone technology. There were a kazillion relays. The relays in the controller were all manufactured for telephone equipment. Tone pulses, recorded onto a modified broadcast cart, selected which tape deck would start next. It was probably installed around 1973 and ran for 10 years, or a bit more.
Originally, to "program" the dialing sequence, someone had to insert a blank cart, then "DIAL" all the number sequence, using a telephone-type rotary dial. One slip of the finger & you would have to erase the cart & start all over. It took about 20 minutes to "dial" an entire day's programming sequence onto a cart. I wrote a program in GW Basic to have a computer put out the tone sequence, which was then recorded onto a cart, using a regular cart deck. Originally using a Tandy Color Computer, that I owned. Later, I tweaked it to use a larger Tandy computer owned by the station.

John S.

 A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
*~Unknown Wise Guy~