RE: Early Automation system nostalgia (was:why I like assembly (And CRTECH))
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Early Automation system nostalgia (was:why I like assembly (And CRTECH))
From: Jon Foreman <Jon@ksgn.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 17:11:13 +0000
In the early eighties my first automation system was an IGM Basic A, IIRC. It ran the open reels for music and programs, satellite feeds, 2 Carousels for carts. Later we "upgraded" to an Instacart. That meant we swapped on set of problems for a different set of problems. I recall we bought an IBM AT for the office during that time. I didn't see it, but before the IGM the station had a Schafer automation system. There are some interesting photos on the internet.
I tried to find a photo just now of the IGM. Haven't found the automation system yet, but I did find an "Olde Golde" tape that siad "IGM World's largest supplier of taped music for radio." I didn't realize they did the music.

I'll have to dig around to find some of my old photos.

According to one item I ran across, Drake Chenault developed the use of EOM tones on multi-track tapes, with the cue at 1 KHz on a discrete track. Not the 25 Hz mixed in like I "grew up with."

Jon Foreman
Chief Engineer/IT Manager
jon@ksgn.com
909-583-2136