Re: Early Automation system nostalgia (was:why I like assembly (And CRTECH))
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Early Automation system nostalgia (was:why I like assembly (And CRTECH))
From: Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 11:07:57 -0500
On 02/02/2018 09:41 PM, Michael Barnes wrote:
Actually, there WAS automation back then. Way ahead of its time was the WINGS system, developed by the HCJB Engineering Center. I believe the first version went on line around 1989 or so. Originally running on DOS 5.1, it had a basic GUI for user interface....
I remember the first automation system I used; Digital DJ was its name.  Put my first one in on September 1, 1991.  A little later, put in another system alongside of DDJ called 'The Auto-Mate' by John Zolkoske; I actually have the two-floppy set in my hand right now for version 2.1 of this really handy simple automation program (we used it entirely for music-on-hard-drive, as we all called it at the time).  The station got struck by lightning in 1998, and the Digital DJ's Antec SX8 card got fried; we had already been evaluating BSI's WaveStation (anybody else still have an SX36?), and I had thankfully dumped (by analog!) all of the DDJ's audio over to the WaveStation before the strike (the DDJ files were in a proprietary Antec file format), so we had little downtime once repairs were made to the Audioarts R60 console.

In many ways the older DOS systems were more robust that what we have today; the PCs those systems ran on were too slow to do more than one thing at a time, so there was no temptation to do other things on the main on-air machine; we have caught operators trying to do other things on the WaveStation (Simian, of course, now) machine since it was a full Windows system, and that's an actual disadvantage of the newer systems.  That's one more advantage to using Rivendell, since it specifically isn't Windows, and it can be locked down much tighter.  Just my opinion, of course...

Anyway, great nostalgia time, there.....

Follow-Ups: RE: Early Automation system nostalgia (was:why I like assembly (And CRTECH))
(Jon Foreman <Jon@ksgn.com>, 3 Feb 2018 17:11:27 -0000)
Re: Early Automation system nostalgia (was:why I like assembly (And CRTECH))
(Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>, 5 Feb 2018 15:31:58 -0000)
Re: Early Automation system nostalgia
(Andy Larsen <andy@whwl.net>, 5 Feb 2018 18:13:20 -0000)