Re: why i like assembly
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: why i like assembly
From: Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 17:12:34 -0500
On 01/27/2018 01:22 AM, dave allen wrote:
had a routine written in 'c' to search for stuff in the ftp log on our linux server, which is currently going on 17Mb.

it was taking a 'long time' so i wrote it in assembly (intel). intel has a special instruction to look for chars. that helped.

My first real programming language, and still my favorite, is Z80 assembler.  That's one reason one of my hobby things is getting boards fabricated for a retro computer known as the CPU280, which is currently the only hobbyist-buildable and open-design Z280 computer out there.  Runs the amazingly modern CP/M 3 operating system, and can run the Unix V7-semicompatible UZI280.  No GUI, of course, but still a fun little rig.  12MHz Z280 (16-bit enhanced Z80) with 4MB of RAM and floppy interface (I use an HxC floppy emulator that uses disk images on SD cards) with an ECB connector for an ECB backplane, and there is an IDE interface available for that.  Typically you then use industrial 64MB to 128MB CF cards with an IDE to CF adapter.... lots going on in this 'retrobrew' scene; check out www.retrobrewcomputers.org for more!  (including a PDP8-compatible single board computer with CF storage using the decidedly retro 6120-based CPU chipset.... complete retro computers running inside FPGAs..... new-old Z80 designs..... even a single-board 68030 that can boot Linux.)

If you're really into the assembler scene on PCs, you gotta try MenuetOS ( http://menuetos.net/ ) which is a modern, pre-emptive, real-time, multiprocessor OS for the PC written entirely in 32/64 bit assembly language.  Full GUI and everything.  The basic OS fits on a single floppy.  Several apps available, including a non-free media player that can play DVD's, for a bit under $12.

Follow-Ups: Re: why i like assembly
(dave allen <crtech-mail@reyware.us>, 3 Feb 2018 01:38:40 -0000)