Re: why I like assembly (And CRTECH)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: why I like assembly (And CRTECH)
From: Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 12:53:13 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=Kv6gWlAxyeA3ZIRmOexjdiseIGDzJ48FQe3Y2xyd1X4=; b=jGwMv6lvX6gBGWpbHPf+5+1qWnjzb06pCHq9CdoMW9DlaUEqh1G4jmMWsATpuAI8HS 7wtLBCFqFGLXsMK957OH0W62cd6oNsTBO2P4ZRJRdD/W53vmgglmvhA5WNOVQFy+3rjH z4eGeuszJDsQjtwO1qAxO7AGn7GYyp+Noq/hGwu084zBFxvX/rLn6o6AfRUJ8T9rXBMg /272W+eeDqRAb+DDfsIUa+Dzqx9kFPo42EP8/5eHwrAxVFiD9vZ8jKEf1TmpgeJHGIck BFlbNBLr6uUwPvipx7IOd+l3g6hlxPs45yWH8A3Tz2arWNYjAzc0N9fQyrpQXAaGm08Y TUdg==
Nice! That reminds me of the analog satellite days... and using cassette tapes to record those feeds for later broadcast. Commodore to the rescue! :) A friend had a partly damaged (but working) C=128 that he gave me. I fixed it, wrote some BASIC code, and wired up two SS relays for the computer to control. Turned out both were turned on at the same time, anyway, but the ability to switch at different times was there. :)

The system worked by tuning the two AVCOM-clone satellite receivers to the proper channels the night before, pop the cassettes into the machines, and press a key on the computer. At the preset time, it would power-up the decks, which each had a "record on power-up" switch. :)

That system made life MUCH easier, because there was no other automation back then. (late 80's, early 90's) Instead of having to run the board *AND* try to catch those very important satellite feeds at the same time, they could be set up in advance. Coming into the station for sign-on, with the first two 1/2 hour programs "ready to rewind" was MUCH better than catching them as they came in, and having to scramble to rewind them in time to air! ;)

Even worse was missing a feed, because then you had to try to catch that AND the other feeds! This crude C=128 "automation" saved the day MANY times after I built it. :)

Then along came the Windows 95-based AudioVault, and that C=128 system was retired. :) What a joy AV was to work with!

I still think the Kludge of the Decade award should go to someone at (Ambassador?) who rigged up a bunch of VCR's to play back a bunch of prefeeds on the weekends! I found out about it, because when I tried to set my "automation" to catch those pre-feeds, the timing would inevitably be off by more than a minute or two. When I talked to someone there about that, they told me what was really going on, and that fixing the timing just wasn't possible! :o

BTW... I remember looking at the old "FEED FINDER" a few years ago on the CRTech site! (Remember that?) It wasn't working, naturally, but I got a chuckle when I saw the link. (I don't see it now.)

There IS a CRTech page with some broken links, tho...
http://www.crtech.org/providers.html

The "schedules" pages seem to have vanished. (I wonder why? Hehehe!)

Thinking of the Timex/Sinclair, I have one "In the box" at home. I powered it up about 2 years ago, and it still worked. :) I also have several C=64's and VIC 20's

Willie...