Re: Interesting issue
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Interesting issue
From: JIm Turvaville <jimturbo61@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 20:39:44 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s2048; t=1517344787; bh=1i8Dz9kCqp8oBPd67JKUr14/pcEfrzdDdF9qcvfJbGI=; h=Date:From:Reply-To:To:In-Reply-To:References:Subject:From:Subject; b=VtLaN5iJL+HiWqYOgMoB7dXvlP7GJBx1YWZ3u6ej2EfWkERTdrBFu388a9aBcNHxE3QlUmC91GsLmO2hKwPHQVYAgkvu55QpBXxq0zD0gQPtk8xicx0cAyT8cmZkhmFy/k6x/nGsFyLNwruAwSL9/WQO8N4A8JA2o199ZgYJoNxaZ1Rd7I6GN0WIOWVZyZEevk29UQCf1C2kDvmFyMwvUZTAI5yI0aFTNhv6hzo+RZd5mX+l8fV/LOOm+FGcD9y2KWFddXVoxKyfa9jypIAY615705NJ+gagOR5U8kQf5rlbWFmO168429yfz+SU1Iu8vhsRgkSH+KmcGA1gBlrlmg==
Joey:

I'm the Media director at our church, we have a Presonus Live 24 with a 100' snake, just no AM stations for 44 miles is all.. LOL

In my experience, finding the issue requires 'slash and burn' troubleshooting.

I gather you can either hear the AM in headphones or see it on the mixer meters... either way, find some way of confirming you hear it and then start unplugging things one at a time.  As you unplug, leave what you take out disconnected as long as the AM is heard.

Chris's plan is correct - start with the outputs on the mixer and unplug them one at a time. That would be the monitor returns as well as any main sends that go back to the stage.  My gut says unplugging these will NOT make the AM go away, but it's easiest and quickest to test and eliminate.

If that does not make it go away, then start unplugging inputs from the mixer one at a time. Start with mic channels or anything coming in that is of low level that would have a preamp in use.  If you find one or more specific inputs that are picking up the AM, then there are ground loop boxes (ART makes some good ones) which can work on a couple of specific inputs or outputs.

If you get down to the last in put and the AM then goes away, your assertion of the snake being the culprit might be confirmed. In that case, I might suggest that you look at installing or moving the ground from the mixer itself (it IS grounded, is it?) and finding something besides or in addition to electrical ground.  That would usually mean running ground cable to a water pipe, ground rod, etc... not easy nor fun.

If your entire snake is found to be the source, there are some good 4" or so sized torroids you can get to loop the snake at each end and help kill some RF suspicion.

None of this process is fast or easy, have a good cup of coffee or energy drink and eat that elephant one bite at a time.

Jim "Turbo" Turvaville
SBE Certified Radio Engineer
Turbo Technical Services
 PH: 719-459-1859