RE: why I like assembly
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: why I like assembly
From: Jon Foreman <Jon@ksgn.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 18:57:00 +0000

I recall using a Radio Shack TRS 80 (aka TRaSh 80) in a BASIC programming class at DeVry in Phoenix right around 1980. I decided to POKE in a short assembly program. Needless to say it made a huge difference in the speed compared to a similar routine running in the BASIC interpreter.

More in the broadcasting area, our first digital audio editor was SAW (Software Audio Workshop) running on a 486 class computer. Since it was written in assembly, it ran much faster than the competition at the time. It was not ideally suited for broadcast use but was what we felt was the best choice at the time. Cool Edit at the time was not even close to ready for any serious use. We later switched to Cool Edit Pro 2.0.

Jon Foreman
Chief Engineer/IT Manager
jon@ksgn.com
909-583-2136