Internet Repeater?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Internet Repeater?
From: Michael Barnes <barnmichael@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 13:59:41 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=ikFUt/2ygE/W/eDGmsTn7p1MYya2GCE30nJXIRBhEOc=; b=n3WBjhu40iLm71MoUBSBPsULXHq+81TgJTPCZsIf2Empp35HpCjgxsDkthpucY7jNV Ew5aPn0y9Oe+g3GHObYapZXdVk0wq1hL9a/DuEVxrtI9dcHWykM3zQ1tZP+hMFcG5DnF hD3tqvOHEpGVcTuK7VqGb4CeZMjGBljz+GpZjTGElwLR/7kh8A242g64/efPSHqvtWoS mVHd8r1EpfYqx8HKp5xJtAHGEtMCvHKE1ODJA4tfOeCw59tk0kcbusWRN0ZEDUo43lf7 xxWbI95UhsiGCdnAeeykeS19VQ6yCVQ3itd0BwVlJHqiwf2XabZvl10jQIbD+sqzWZSr j6rQ==
I'm back, at least for a little while. I have missed my friends here on CRTech. I hope you all are well. I am enjoying retirement, but every now and then, I get pulled back to the real world. I have been asked to assist some folks with getting Internet access to a remote facility. This project has been a real struggle, and I think I have a solution, but I don't know for sure how to implement it. Then, I thought of my friends here on CRTech and am sure I can get help here. Although this is not broadcast related, I'm sure some of you have faced and beaten the same problem.

Here's the deal. This facility is in a rural area in Northwest Oregon. They are on a large, mostly wooded, piece of property in the hills overlooking the Columbia River. They struggled with DSL for a number of years, but the service was unreliable and the bandwidth was dismal. A "consultant" talked them into getting Internet via satellite. The service was little better than DSL and they ran into unexpected data caps. They had great service for a week, then hit the data cap and the bandwidth was reduced drastically until the end of the month. The service cost is exorbitant, and they got stuck with a horrible contract with severe penalties if they try to discontinue service. They are finally nearing the end of their contract and are looking for new solutions.

I found a wireless Internet provider in Washington who can provide cost effective Internet access up to 14mbps. The problem is lack of line-of-sight access to the facility. However, there is a location on the property that does have an excellent view to Washington and can easily receive the wireless signal on 5 GHz. The actual point-to-point view to the provider is just under four miles. This point is approximately 2000 feet from the facility and there simply is no way to run any kind of cable between the two locations. My intent is to put some kind of repeater at the access location. I envision a tower of about 20-30 feet with a dish pointing across the river to get the 5GHz wireless signal, then another small dish and radio to relay to the facility. This repeater will need to run from battery with solar and possibly wind power for charging.

What I am looking for from my friends here on CRTech is first, does this sound feasible? If so, I am looking for recommendations and sources for the radios and antennas for the link between the tower and the facility as well as solar panels, wind generators, batteries, controls, etc. The ISP will provide the equipment for the link to their system, which basically is the dish, radio, and modem/router. I don't have the full power requirements for them, but it shouldn't be much.

I know some of you have faced similar issues getting Internet and/or STL to geographically challenged transmitter sites. And, many of you know how to work with limited budgets. I look forward to hearing about your innovative solutions to this problem.

Thank you, my friends,

Michael

Follow-Ups: Re: Internet Repeater?
(Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>, 21 Jan 2018 23:21:20 -0000)