Re: BSI Automation upgrades
To: crtech@crtech.org
Subject: Re: BSI Automation upgrades
From: Andy Larsen <andy@whwl.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 08:53:24 -0500
Just an update to all...I believe I have all the quirks worked out of the new system and am ready to go live. The serial issue was the most interesting to me. Just to recap, Simian will only talk to one serial port, which I use to control our Unity 4000. In the past, I've done the 54:30 time sync with a computerboards card, but the newer trigger kits are external, and can be USB or serial. I couldn't connect it via USB, because it emulates a serial port, and I can only have Simian talking to one serial port.

I first tried using just a serial splitter. I was hopeful since this would be the easiest, but it didn't work. As soon as the satellite receiver was connected, for some reason, the computer stopped seeing the incoming triggers.

Since I only need RX from the trigger kit and TX to the Unity 4000, I tried Kevin's idea, which works perfectly. It receives the time sync from the satellite receiver, and happily sends serial strings to change channels. I still have the splitter in place so I didn't have to build quite so much custom hardware--only one cable to remove the RX from the satellite receiver. The trigger device uses a phone cord with RJ-11 plugs for its serial connection, with a converter to make it a DB-9. Only needed the two center conductors on the RJ-11 for my use, so using a cheap phone cable with only two wires worked just fine and I didn't have to build anything :)

Thanks for all the suggestions and for making this a great place to hang out. Happy new year everyone!