Re: FM Translators
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: FM Translators
From: Ryan Williams <ryanmw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 12:47:42 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=0vIcAm/oESiAvWJKfQNh3qjJ+dXRuaiuBRpRm2+MEkg=; b=CGMxgFWGkUa261Lh2HVEzYWq8839V00/Olk/3pnaBRRKqWSzBFhCWNYwPaMvpDQxmo jf8yZtel4dsuX/MEhDmbcbdDB7ARwz3VrIeafICWOs8pJoYwkQrgOjI3d6R33HyTDC1k RTuybsei0U0MxAEKx64RSkqJTLTyWSBW+r4qsBjru7zhiAV6yLrDfr7Y+wSme0HGM62N PdVprfULg67c7UinRMPoh9KyVP8WErhocGPqGFD/a3N+IVfeW9kzpYbKe/fLq0LdiMzG lRN2E1WyOh+dVrEXzoeGNXHB5NUk3PnZOeCQBNKZnSeErzlFb+TiwiJFz4ILu1wdRN56 xTPA==
References: <55D7DD7E-5F93-4418-9FD8-5A5F75C13AC0@gmail.com> <AB51A9A9EC341A479655F592221FE8BD770EC838@mbx028-e1-va-4.exch028.domain.local> <!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAADib6sS3YlVGmIoS9/eusAvCgAAAEAAAAK5ZRpgFPVxLiesu5ohNCmMBAAAAAA==@kacs.org> <AB51A9A9EC341A479655F592221FE8BD770ECD8D@mbx028-e1-va-4.exch028.domain.local> <a47aaabd21714b588a6be58bc6af3ee3@wilkinsradio.com> <BN6PR08MB3347D4AF09CE49D91A022316B5080@BN6PR08MB3347.namprd08.prod.outlook.com> <CAPQBvqo0c7Jb4f2i8r1uSt9abQruLbGP=HDsYUuCDYeZJJU3RQ@mail.gmail.com> <BN6PR08MB33474D4C264F6DAA7A3B4A16B50E0@BN6PR08MB3347.namprd08.prod.outlook.com> <00c401d37864$eb719ab0$c254d010$@pilgrimradio.com> <CABBF47HpVBDd5_ujSzdhuv4cjRS+=rB6o2RNr0juZzQyF80hog@mail.gmail.com>
We have a big AM that is simulcast in two adjacent markets with FM translators. This is a spoken word formatted station with mostly ministries, not unlike Mike's station in Omaha, so no musical programming.

Both translators have been run in mono since I put them on the air. In both market, they are the only translators that are in mono and I think it helps substantially in making the signal more usable, especially outside of the 60 dBu contours. I am constantly sampling and comparing on a variety of radios, and for us, it's not even a close call. Making the decision for the receivers, in staying in mono all the time, is definitely worth it. If I had a Class C, I'd probably go stereo however.

Ryan
KBBW