RE: SSD failure modes (TRIM)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: SSD failure modes (TRIM)
From: Robert Sims <rfbroadcastengineer@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 22:19:33 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=outlook.com; s=selector1; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version; bh=XKS+E1hOya5W7CyvNVhkDIxJHTCpyJ/aKHZTAqpuEy0=; b=hxwfuWwoQ1XynFXLkRFPuHEaNMnL8HwP/kl33uHTD5OOy2TM38BYTyZ44Y5+Tlc/Bm2q9Hbcw59mef5iqj1c8Qjd0mfOQR9Y/nHOIngUuEPflnj5bKbtom0hTBs7RzbBT3Y2aSdznXiSadue0YPPxsiNDwwwQNRJscxD+BiesoJzebzkW8dnm9oKfx4iCJ6AZNBVyA4vFoc0FDiq+Kaz8aF8L66LC5davnPZp33coieWqM+Z5mYFEq/hKCQrJCAfjE46GlzZeeuMuFC5VQjCkL/wJGJdUo/D0q+yOZmmtM8sHHAzvwWOSQSfS9kYiupfdap1EgmEemyRkLiP710HRw==

Biggest enemy of SSDs (in XP and earlier environments) is defragging. Defragmentation processes need to be completely off, and never run. They’ll put an enormous amount of unnecessary wear on the drives and pull the useful life way down. SSDs do their own file fragment management stuff and that is all they require.

Regarding seeing this issue repeatedly, I’d question power quality, either in the location they’re being used (poor or incorrect grounding) or in the means by which they are being fed (power supply, regardless of whether cord-wart or internal). I’ve never had an SSD drive even error on me, much less fail, in a wide variety of applications and use environments for both personal use and client use in the last 4 or 5 years that I’ve been using them.

I’d also, once again, warn against cheap/off-brand SSD drives… stick with one of the better rated drives (Samsung is my go to, SanDisk and Hynix are well regarded). The no-name, low- tier, and licensed-name drives are all coming from factories that are recapturing chips and boards that didn’t pass various QC tests, slapping it together and selling it cheap. There’s a reason it was rejected by the big guys. Going “low-price” in SSD purchasing is probably the single worst thing modern computer users/builders could do (other than maybe buying no-name “oem” labelled knockoff laptop chargers from ebay!). Just say no!