RE: SSD failure modes (TRIM)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: SSD failure modes (TRIM)
From: Jesse Diller <jdiller@weec.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 22:00:55 +0000

True.  Some drives (from Crucial, for example), have “background garbage collection” functionality that can do the same thing as TRIM; both of these, though, don’t really affect the life of the drive, only the slowdown problem caused by the drive having to clear data blocks before it can write to them.  Funnily, there are some interesting requirements for these garbage collection things.  I saw a post from Crucial that said you ought to leave the computer in the system BIOS menu for 6-8 hours periodically to trigger it. J

But yes, the TRIM / XP issue doesn’t affect drive lifetime, only performance.

- Jesse Diller

IT Director, Strong Tower Christian Media
WEEC 100.7FM / WFCJ 93.7FM