RE: FM Translators
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: FM Translators
From: Mike Shane <mshane@salemomaha.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 01:05:20 +0000
Accept-language: en-US

Pretty good results in Omaha, a place where I, too, thought we had too much RF for this to work.  There was a class A at the same general site that the TV stations and the big FM stations use that was not receivable, by me at least, on a Sony SRF-A100 AM Stereo/FM Stereo portable radio.  The FM front end on those is notoriously bad however.  Not up to Sony’s usual standards.

So I didn’t think translators would make a dent and while I still have difficulties hearing anything on some on home/portable/table type radios, in-car radios are a way different story.  We have two translators, one 250 watts and another 60 watts at different sites, both “relaying” AM programming.  On one translator (250w) the signal is so good, we use it’s frequency first in positioning the station.  It far outperforms the AM which is severly challenged anyway.  On the 60 watt unit (400 ft.), it covers half of the city well, not so much the farther half but then as you travel further away into the next county it comes up again.  The AM it relays has a pretty big daytime signal but at night has less power than the translator!  (54w/60w)

We know of at least one individual who was reached, along with her family, for Christ by the 60-watter.  That one was supposed to be 110 watts on another frequency but we were beaten to that frequency by a hair’s breadth, so it wound up on a different frequency that put it right next to the local hip-hop station.  That’s what caused it to reach that individual.  We would not likely have reached her on the channel WE wanted, but God had other ideas.

Mike Shane

Salem Media Group Omaha