RE: FM Translators
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: FM Translators
From: Jack Epperson <Jack.Epperson@alphamediausa.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 19:03:38 +0000

Con:  If there is any possibility of creating interference with an existing channel you could be chasing a wild goose.

Recent FCC ruling in North Carolina that just one unresolved complaint and they can make you turn it off. At least until the rules change.

We have a translator that is outside our 'protected' coverage at 90W and  27 miles away. Even though it says that this should work on paper, we still have a lot of listeners in that area that complain about interference from them. Their coverage is only a 6 mile diameter of staticky but listenable audio, then a 4 mile wide no-man’s land until our signal just gets steadily better as you move into our coverage area. Even at the far side of their signal you can still hear my channel better than theirs. Book says it work, but real life reality is challenged.

sig

"Old engineers don’t die, they dielectric."