Re: BSI Automation upgrades
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: BSI Automation upgrades
From: Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 09:40:21 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=ceO+mk2nN9500BoXkvUSKEj30xhw6+F1yLnAuSYZk74=; b=ZpdQ7mwQoP3zxNXMQwY0tOq9QTAC2JVp4D1Wb8jygW7MaR1n7VMHyyHW0r4SFAcfYE XFxbtU67cjyvJ8QeHdugd8nmkqyhJxRDBehASoxz1XdsdOIj5WTyUoqL6DFnu2TWmBc7 xNY26CK+lXReRRJV9+lDo9ulHZbULZpfgXxNanUBjhtw2B7MKHGMez7ZemHBLiaYvBz0 piEXY+F4hkg0Z3efBhfxkHX16CFEAWecvaKysYCrTDAdbRmP6zLi+r5eBMsBz6a2Ajnf s7aXnCletbVyd1R8zB42E5OYLChG7sdrPHc7Ns2b0p5csxADYt3VB1mcu/RAqbRrqTwp ea0A==
Andy,

Lots of fairly disconnected thoughts...

I have several sites running multiple BT devices on the multidrop serial output.  However none of them are operating a Unity RX.  We have ran into this limitation before when using a serial BT SS8.2 for switching and then trying to add a USB trigger kit for trigger expansion.  My assistant could make it work with either/or but not both.

IF you have to address the RX (similar to the way BT does multidrop) before passing commands, OR if the RX will gracefully ignore commands that it doesn't recognize, you may be able to do something like the multidrop with the trigger kit and RX.  The baud rate, etc will have to agree between both.   If the RX constantly talks back and forth via the serial port that wouldn't work due to the obvious conflicts.

OR if the RX doesn't need to talk back to the computer, send the serialTX data to only the SatRX and bring the GPI data only back in on the serialRX.  I have never tried any of this...

I am almost certain that I have those trigger kits running on USB but I believe that it still has to be setup in Simian as a ComPort so you really can't get around the single port limitation.  I seem to recall having a hard time getting the USB device to use a low numbered serial port that Simian would recognize but that may have been fixed in later versions.

Later versions of Simian will also receive triggers forwarded from another Simian system via IP but have no idea how well it works nor if it can be used with any non-Simian devices.

I have a number of stations running various internet time sync apps with good success.  Sometimes we had to play with the time offsets to make them line up with network time but they seemed to be stable.

You could also use a local GPS network time server for even better consistency.  Something like:  https://www.css-timemachines.com/product/gps-time-server-tm1000a/ .  I have a station running a much more expensive but similar unit for their time sync that was part of an automation package.

Good luck,

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
Lawrenceburg, TN
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT