RE: Am I an Engineer? Or just an Impostor? (
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Am I an Engineer? Or just an Impostor? (
From: Jesse Diller <jdiller@weec.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 16:03:35 +0000

Remember this story from earlier this summer?

According to Oregon Live, "A state panel violated a Beaverton man's free speech rights by claiming he had unlawfully used the title 'engineer' and by fining him when he repeatedly challenged Oregon's traffic-signal timing before local media and policymakers, Oregon's attorney general has ruled." From the report:

Oregon's Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying unconstitutionally applied state law governing engineering practice to Mats Jarlstrom when he exercised his free speech about traffic lights and described himself as an engineer since he was doing so "in a noncommercial'' setting and not soliciting professional business, the state Department of Justice has conceded. "We have admitted to violating Mr. Jarlstrom's rights,'' said Christina L. Beatty-Walters, senior assistant attorney general, in federal court Monday. The state's regulation of Jarlstrom under engineering practice law "was not narrowly tailored to any compelling state interests,'' she wrote in court papers. The state has pledged the board will not pursue the Beaverton man any further when he's not acting in a commercial or professional manner, and on Monday urged a federal judge to dismiss the case. The state also sent a $500 check to Jarlstrom in August, reimbursing him for the state fine.

This, from slashdot.org this morning.

Long story short, an engineer isn’t an Engineer isn’t an $$Engineer™$$ .

- Jesse Diller

IT Director, Strong Tower Christian Media

WEEC 100.7FM / WFCJ 93.7FM