RE: USB Headsets and - Comrex Opal is for simplicity, speed and security.
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: USB Headsets and - Comrex Opal is for simplicity, speed and security.
From: Rich Roszel <rich@creativegeniusproductions.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 13:09:21 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:sender:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=twmEeuHYGNcIL4SQe/sx5Swuiq/3RkwndaLE/To5gYQ=; b=lcIeNdNbiZ/bVsyQDWRmlgr+UPbzgGtIWrV20bpjRcVqG4RnRU1gEGfkJ0bkgvaVD9 A/11MQUntAGLT3ImYm4eF5jNAPI4pR6vXL8qTZNLQhvSB1L91c/ohgKvEsRAAK02RlQ6 B3mi734iB1Ilx3Z8nnEgALOYQUGFR5zmciFfvI4T3I6eiOI4L9eUiWal7u/Hvw6ctShx gStHvS0MtUdhjuSaOwwmrZELye7WTCg1oOe93QA6DJSRCx6oquf552BcX3tn2BLhHIg6 u5TjDrYUIyjyIUpLS7CWOcii77r76W5LfZYI/UOGdkPE3Z0BdWTCJvEThIYocTkp7NNV rrBQ==
The reason for my original post about recommended USB headsets was for the reason you stated in your comment, Jack.  "All a remote guest needs to transmit audio is a browser and a microphone."

In the case of guests connecting via smartphone, the mic is both built in and close to the guest's mouth.  In the case of a guest trying to connect on his or her computer, either they will be using a laptop with a built in mic a couple of feet from the mouth, or they will be using a desktop computer without a mic.  If they're going to be using a computer, I'd like to get the mic close to the mouth, but want something simple to setup that covers both the mic and headphone part of the equation.  I'm grateful that the recording and broadcast industries have made several very decent USB mics, but so far, I've been unable to find a broadcast quality USB headset.

Since the original post, I'm now thinking I will suggest that guests use a smartphone on wi-fi unless they've got a good 4G LTE signal.  I understand that the data path and the cell path aren't exactly the same, but we're still talking mobile technology which can be flakey when you least expect it.  If anyone does come up with a good USB headset, please post your findings here.  I'd love to see what works for you and what doesn't.

In the meantime, my request for an Opal demo unit is in the waiting line at Comrex.  I'll let you know what I find out once I've had a chance to play with it.

Thanks,

Rich Roszel

Creative Genius Productions, Inc