RE: USB Headsets and - Comrex Opal is for simplicity, speed and security.
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: USB Headsets and - Comrex Opal is for simplicity, speed and security.
From: Jack Epperson <Jack.Epperson@alphamediausa.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 14:46:11 +0000

Compatibility

Opal works by activating the Opus encoder built into commonly used browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. As a result, Opal can connect to any computer or Android device with one of those browsers installed. All a remote guest needs to transmit audio is a browser and a microphone.

“phone apps” have their own built in limitations on the audio bandwidth, thus the ‘phone quality’ sound when one does a call in type call.  Opal gets around that built in limitation by using the browser to directly access the

device microphone thus using the full capabilities of that microphone through the Opus codec. Not only is there a noticeable increase in sound quality, but the simplicity of the remote setup and the speed with which you can deploy that connection is the key advantage of the Opal which makes scheduling a lot more flexible because what is needed most at the remote end is a  phone and a quiet place with a ‘decent’ internet connection. No time to do a remote setup tutorial or mail out equipment and troubleshoot the issues? No problem, send a link or a text and the remote party clicks on it for the instant connection and you do not have to keep track of where your remote ‘equipment’ is either. It is also secure and the repeated use of that link  is determined by the sender. Need it to sound good now or quickly, Opal is a big improvement. Have all kinds of time to setup the remote and troubleshoot it, then the DIY freeware methods will suffice.

Jack Epperson

Chief Engineer
Alpha Media- Aurora, IL
Matrix Broadcasting- Crystal Lake, IL

WERV, WFXF, WZSR

SBE  CBRE  CBNT, GROL

SBECertifiedLogo2015_sm

"Old engineers don’t die, they dielectric."