RE: Line Pressure
To: "'CRTech'" <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Line Pressure
From: "Bill Hurne" <billhurne@pilgrimradio.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 09:36:01 -0800

I have heard around 4 psi is a good pressure to keep your line dry.   Some opt for lower pressures of 2 or 3 psi when the system is leaky causing frequent nitrogen tank changes or dehydrators to run too much.    Many dehydrators don’t have a storage tank followed by a regulator to keep the pressure constant.   The line pressure varies between lower and upper limits between runs, such as 3 to 6 psi.

Whether you opt for nitrogen or a dehydrator usually depends how leaky the line is.   Dehydrators are best when the line is so leaky a nitrogen tank needs to be changed too frequently.   At one of our sites the nitrogen tank needs to be changed only once a year so we are staying with nitrogen.   At another site the tank needs to be changed every two or three months so I may put a dehydrator in next year’s budget.   Two or three months isn’t convenient during the winter with deep snow on the mountain.

Dehydrators come in various sizes and specs so be careful what model you order.  Some are designed for low pressure microwave systems that output less than 1 psi.   Some output only about 0.2 cfm which are good for smaller systems.     If your antenna is a 6 bay fed with 3 inch line your probably need a larger dehydrator.   The Customer Service should be able to calculate the size you need for your system.

Bill