RE: Research: Axia iQ system
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Research: Axia iQ system
From: Jon Foreman <Jon@ksgn.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 16:24:09 +0000

We’ve had an iQ for a few years now. No repairs have been needed. We’ve have two of the “original” SmartSurface consoles. I’ve had to replace some switcher in one due to some spilled water. Telos stocked the switches and they were not too hard to change out. I’d say moderate ease of service.

Can it be worked on while on-air? Good question.

The iQ has a dedicated mix engine. If you power down the control surface, you’re probably still good. When it powers up, it will revert to a preset state that I believe you choose. There would likely be some interruption in output as it boots up. I would recommend having a bypass of some sort. With the Axia system, this tends to be rather easy. I once had my Sage Endec flake out and make everything sound like Darth Vader near the start of the morning show. I was able to track that down and re-route around it from home. Your ability to do that all depends on how your plant is configured. If you have the iQ simply as a console in an analog plant, it won’t give you that. If it is part of an Axia centric infrastructure, you’re in good shape.

Jon Foreman
Chief Engineer/IT Manager
jon@ksgn.com
909-583-2136