Re: Rivendell curiosity (USB/etc)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Rivendell curiosity (USB/etc)
From: Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:28:21 -0400
On 10/11/2017 10:23 AM, Willie Barnett wrote:

Since 3 of these test bed machines are pretty much identical, can the INSTALL be done on ONE, then the HD simply CLONED for the others? (Then set unique network names, IP addresses, etc, individually.) There must be a GOOD/EASY HD clone utility for Linux... but where? Which one? :)
The recommended way of putting the same install on lots of machines for CentOS is to PXE boot (net-boot with the Preboot eXecution Environment) the box and run a kickstart install from the PXE-booted image from the installation server.  But as Sherrod said, that's when you're installing 30-50 or more machines that it makes good sense to do that, as it is overkill for less than 25 machines; might be overkill for less than 50, but it just depends on what those machines do and how often you install (or if you just want to learn a really cool new skill like setting up a PXE install server and doing kickstart installs, which can be completely unattended and done on machines with no keyboard/monitor or other console (aka, 'headless')).

Cloning, whether Linux or Windows, has the side-effect of making UUID's (Universally Unique IDentifiers) no longer Unique.  This can have bad side-effects, especially if you move the hard drive back around and try to pull data off of the drive; two drives should not have partitions/physical volumes/volume groups with the same UUID; things get really confused if they do.  For Windows the side-effects extend to the network, and allow some pretty massive security holes (I log in on my machine with the same security identifier (SID) as your machine, I can do bad things to your machine if I log in as Administrator on my machine).  No two 'security principals' in Windows-land should have the same SID (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Identifier for an explanation of SID).

--
Lamar Owen
Chief Technology Officer