SFTP automated transfers (was: Genesis Radio Productions)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: SFTP automated transfers (was: Genesis Radio Productions)
From: Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 16:37:13 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=ieee-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to; bh=+fu7NPaHNayRk0LHttsZCfzRIh2qWDIG4M+MeaMN/9E=; b=baI4I6LuCzSwX/O+FCoWlfN7lsbncuNZni4YvrmmPdswkov8hpxknR2cbCwdWQHZ47 6xIAsuLLzGR0gB2Bxr4f5Gd+u8AHpAfRtKCFVO8Z68nRDkpKJfGt30gazzPEZxCZfPlW VRiG1QRt7iCwIf2L64huIRXcZ6DFrNE9Upzlducma9y0CFoOMtZwnHZe868zWWl4AFDa FzTc5pVH84evlUBzPbj74px39UvwVsMW/oB6YwhhpsA0CE9dvGTNEJiL75616Fabu2t5 Udc1CQ0JujE8WYG3d34CmYVhi4IWpBDHWQTYiOa+gJ6yo4MwyXxekqm8ZHkUar+XXtnf qLXQ==
On Sep 7, 2017, at 16:17, Dan Harder <dan@am91.org> wrote:
> Dave Allen told me is working on a fix for the AMBOS, but that windoze
> doesn't like to play with SFTP.
> By the end of September, you may be back to collecting any programs from
> them manually as that is the planned switch date.
> FileZilla does work, but it's manual.

Methinks there may be some misperceptions or misunderstandings there....  Windows works just fine with SFTP.

Windows is just the OS -- and the FTP client program (that operates on top of the OS) is what's responsible for handling the encryption.  Different things altogether.  SFTP works just fine on a variety of OS's.

Automated FTP retrieval has been discussed many times before on this listserv, including for SFTP and FTPS (they're different).

You could do a search through the CRTech archives, but I've mentioned FTP Voyager as one example of an FTP client that can be set up to automatically mirror remote FTP sites or directories.  You can set up automatic file renaming based on wildcards and specific nomenclature requirements, and the FTP Voyager service just runs in the background.  (You access/configure/control the service through a separate GUI from the normal manual-transfer client.)

You can also use the separate GUI manual FTP client as a replacement for Filezilla, but I really like Filezilla so it's still my go-to FTP client for manual file transfers.  The two are almost identical in their feature sets, though.

It's provided as a *free* Windows client by Solarwinds that's the recommended client to access their (very expensive) paid FTP server program, but it stands alone and works quite well with any number of FTP (both secure and insecure) servers (regardless of the OS of the server).

There are other low-cost programs out there that can handle FTPS or SFTP, so do some homework.  You're not going to be left out in the cold and have to manually retrieve files via FTP clients unless you really *want* to do so.

Sherrod Munday

Follow-Ups: RE: SFTP automated transfers (was: Genesis Radio Productions)
("Dan Harder" <dan@am91.org>, 7 Sep 2017 22:02:20 -0000)
Re: SFTP automated transfers
(dave allen <crtech-mail@reyware.us>, 7 Sep 2017 22:41:39 -0000)