Re: key holders
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: key holders
From: Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 11:38:52 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=qQbIk/3Sgh9p7BTCqlENcOGoOyiMVYjwGSjZWqO+HEU=; b=K5x8ZH8DSYCB4TWAJvHUlCgq+CR0FhT4abpHReUn3CiwsKwGu+IwEky7q0cjZ+e6t3 BTXwkeTtXpApJi4Y+SteEe4ckz8aKLeF4Oo4HeFAgp/+bFCusvzH8z6xB4FrkpaQUYO5 KOm2KHIs6qwBiN0tlh5G1K5INpQ3caAcZvnT0qnGgcCSRW9VKntI5u1eD1ZHXzY4C/5D NL0hVypQF6Jxad2MbemeMN+kyP5iu1yumJ7lNwgUsV3rjz1mfHsEjoE4YVC+Dw5TGMB4 rmFRZkcJOG66e9RCAHrQCQdBqvdS4S7pdyeLbEQJVpXSNHmj2GWcuW1X7W/7KQ+aSqB4 U9pA==

If the sites are yours alone.
  1. Change all pad locks or daisy chain a good combo pad lock on gate chains (don't lock out power, utilities or other users).  2nd best is to order a box of keyed like pad locks & replace / daisy chain.  If you go thru the lock shelf at HD or Lowes, you can often find a number of pad locks that use the same key.
  2. Change all door locks to the mechanical cypher type locks. 2nd best is to have all lock sets keyed like.
  3. There are also horseshoe bars that will allow 2 different pad locks to be used on a common locking hasp.

I bought a bunch (pre-Amazon) of multi colored, strong key tags similar to:

and labeled each stations keys.  I started out trying to use different colors for different areas but gave up on keeping that straight.  I try to keep the tags updated with alarm codes or combinations.

To keep them all together, I use the largest round PTO pin that I could find.  These can be picked up at almost any home or farm big box store similar to:

The key rings can rotate around the ring such that you can pull off a single set but I usually just manhandle almost 2 pounds of keys to 25 clients with 40+ sites...  I need to have a key cleaning and redo a bunch of tags but no time right now.

I also keep a mostly up-to-date set of my most used keys in a couple of other vehicles as well as my assistant has a set...

I too am curious what other folks are using.

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
Lawrenceburg, TN
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT
kkidd@kkbc.com  --  866-22-RADIO -- 866-227-2346