Re: Alternatives to Audacity and Audition
To: Tom Van Gorkom <tomvangorkom@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to Audacity and Audition
From: Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 17:12:56 -0400
Cc: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
On 09/05/2017 12:08 PM, Tom Van Gorkom wrote:
Thanks for the reply and good info. I'm just getting back to this subject and decision for a moment. Which product/bundle would compare well to Audition 3.0? 8 tracks should normally be adequate for what we produce here as far as I know - I'm not on the production side - but they do want various effects available. Should we look at the basic v41., 32C 4.1, or a bundle? I don't want it to be too overwhelming either. Start simple and add to it?

You're very welcome.  I would start with the basic Mixbus; if you like the workflow, Harrison usually offers a good discount on purchase of 32C for Mixbus owners.  I am a 'plugged-in' subscriber, and that has gotten me some really nice discounts on plug-in bundles and major version upgrades.  Plus, being a subscriber at $9.99 per month I feel like I'm helping support the development, and being that Mixbus is based on Ardour, that's supporting an open source development.  Start simple and add to it.  The Harrison license is a user-based license; one user can have Mixbus on as many computers as needed, and you're on the honor system.  The user to whom the license belongs is displayed during startup.  There is no activation; just a simple license code in a plain text file that you put in the user's home directory.

The workflow is more console-oriented than many simple wave editors, with processing happening real-time for all plugins and adjustments.  Work the faders, work the knobs, hear your results like on a physical board; when you're ready to print the export, do the export.  You get console-like solo, pre- or post- fade listen, pans, aux sends to outboard equipment if you'd like (and have the audio interface to do it), per-channel eq and compression, and many more console-type features.  Mixbus is first and foremost a mixing board approach to multitrack production; you produce just like you would have produced in a Studer-equipped 24-track studio back in the day.

You have full punch-in/punch-out with preroll capabilities as long as your audio interface has good full duplex support (I use an M-Audio Delta 1010LT for overdub work; my laptop's sound card is good enough for basic mixing of pre-recorded tracks with music bed or intro/lockout pair).  The manual tells you how to get that all set up.

Speaking of, the Mixbus v4 manual is available at http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/Mixbus_User_Manual.pdf

I have a few sample tracks available; three are from a CD I produced (and for which I have redistribution rights), and the other is my radio broadcast for last Saturday.  All were produced with Mixbus (the songs were produced with Mixbus 2.5; the broadcast with 4.1). The songs were tracked with a combination of interfaces: initial two-track (vocal and guitar) was recorded on an Edirol R-09; my bass playing was direct-boxed to the Delta 1010LT; harmony vocals and other instruments were overdubbed with a Tascam US-428.  Tracking was actually done with Ardour, but mixing was in Mixbus.  The artist was specifically looking for a vintage 'Mark V studios' -type of sound with very little effects (just a touch of a plate reverb), so I had the levels pretty cranked up during mixing, and gave the Harrison bus tape emulation a good workout.  She was happy; so I was happy.

The music I use for the broadcast is a live recording of the congregation singing 'I Want to Know More' at the 2012 WGCR Share-a-thon recorded with a 24-track Presonus board and mixed in Mixbus 3.x.

Link to demos: https://nebula.pari.edu/index.php/s/r6ZGiQzd4ejs7ms

(Mark Murdock <mark@celebrationradio.com>, 9 Aug 2017 18:36:04 -0000)
Re: Alternatives to Audacity and Audition
(Tom Raehl <raehl@fastmail.net>, 9 Aug 2017 19:47:25 -0000)
Re: Alternatives to Audacity and Audition
(Tom Van Gorkom <tomvangorkom@gmail.com>, 9 Aug 2017 20:09:19 -0000)
Re: Alternatives to Audacity and Audition
(Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu>, 2 Sep 2017 14:49:27 -0000)
Re: Alternatives to Audacity and Audition
(Tom Van Gorkom <tomvangorkom@gmail.com>, 5 Sep 2017 16:08:30 -0000)