Re: Audacity (Tinkering)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Audacity (Tinkering)
From: Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 16:29:41 -0400

Would love to meet you in person as well!

As to a patched version of Audacity with native WAV support.... well, I don't know of one.  That's why I wrote that someone would have to write such a patch themselves.  I personally don't have a need for it, and the main Audacity developers made their choice....  Having said that, there are a couple of good (if old) lists of Linux audio editors out there.  Look at https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/audio_editors and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_audio_software#Recording.2C_editing_and_mastering

Some of these are old and out-of-date.  For instance, as far as I can tell ecawave is no longer maintained, but it seems like it would fit your bill, as it edits direct-to-disk.  Last release was in 2013 on its SourceForge page.

What I want is a Linux equivalent of mp3DirectCut...... and while mp3splt is nice, what mp3DC will do is just short of fantastic. This is a direct mp3 editor that does not decompress to edit, but edits the actual mp3, so you don't lose any additional quality.  I haven't tried to get mp3DC running in Wine, although it's supposed to work ok.

Marquee selection editing is one of the coolest features..... page 88 of the Audition 1.5 manual shows the technique.  You need to be in Spectral View.  You can select a rectangular region of frequency and time, and edit using that selection (including cut, copy, and paste, apply effect, adjust gain, etc).  Later versions of Audition make it even more powerful; see https://ask.audio/articles/spectral-audio-editing-in-adobe-audition .  I have used it to remove water heater control interference (data tones that are very distinct and very pervasive, as they are on the power lines).  I might have a copy of an instrumental I helped mix that has the defect, and how smoothly the marquee tool helped remove it; I'll have to look.

Oh, you're welcome.  I've learned enough to realize how dumb I am, that's all.  But I like to try to help as I can.

I'm also a user of DeNoise and ClickRepair, which are cross-platform commercial Java applications that do exactly what their names indicate.  ClickRepair is the best thing short of iZotope's RX4.  Excellent vinyl click removal that is nearly fully automatic.