Re: Audacity (Tinkering)
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Audacity (Tinkering)
From: Willie Barnett <wbradiolists@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 10:38:21 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=TuiM14JhQA4Hx34FkWq6JWwQSfQpvkyOLviATfrwips=; b=TP7n1ZViXd9NCzRgD1R3kQCEWNKwvrcKddJEnN8/1JTomskZw6cRidoL1t+SQY8CQQ bee2XF+dAAKlF9YMG2aDRgpbHV1lHupKgfdgijZO5OY0fJsI/YMq30qAi99gJocOwOtT i2qANZLupRDf0LwFB+dtIQugFpUbSTsfBQa0JI/ZdsB5WTJ/m6g1olF9Kcm6dttdGeBB zPnFFpTwasWrio2DILt+7Iyb4m90usNdBRa/y2LC/8hjtjQwYDZoj1JY6k0qTKgmQxrq pgIvuqpNWE3fY4e6vM6xgrBA8Dj4/cNkr309zKyg2onxzHp1qTUfxPPAWTaEngunRMBV Vl/g==
Lamar, I sincerely hope we have an opportunity to meet in person someday before the Rapture! :)

Now, with that said, here is what we do. When we record something, be it a live on-air interview, in-studio interview, local Pastor, etc... we then save it as "FILENAME(RAW).WAV"

THEN we start working on it, and SAVE AS with a different filename. If we create a SESSION (with multitrack) then that also gets saved, along with its files.

This way, we always have the original, unedited "raw" file to fall back on, and re-edit in the future, if needed... and I would have to assume (I know, I know) ;) that probably takes up less space than "a whole directory full of audio snippets". YEOWCH!! :o It also makes the file vastly more "portable" to other workstations, if needed, and easier to back up. (Plus, creating "directories full of audio snippets" is TAUNTING Murphy! ;) It also goes completely AGAINST the "K.I.S.S." principle!)

(Thinking of backups, I have one running on the machine next to me as I type! It's copying all of the on-air "DAD" system files & audio to a tertiary backup system that is kept powered down when not in use.) ;)

If you could point us to a place where we could download a patched version of (or an easy-to-apply patch for) Audacity that defaults to LOAD/SAVE in simple WAV format, that would be nice. :) (One that avoids creating those "whole directories full of audio snippets" would be EVEN BETTER!) Some (many?) of us are still relying upon spinning disks for 1TB+ data storage, where fragmentation IS a thing. ;)

The goal is to make it as familiar to experienced Adobe Audition (Cool Edit) users, as possible. The smaller the learning curve, the faster everyone would be able to get right back to work, and have fewer errors.

BTW, I was able to get Cool Edit Pro 1.2 to work under WINE in Linux Mint. It took quite a bit of finagling, and you can't use the "live update during record" (where the waveform display "scrolls" as it records) but it DOES work. The scrolling somehow makes WINE crash. It isn't a huge sacrifice to go without, just for the sake of actually having Cool Edit working in Linux! :)

What I also discovered about this release of Mint, is that so far (on 2 different machines) I can just take the SSD and plug it into a different machine... and it just works! Sure can't do THAT with Windows!! ;) I have a bunch of older hardware I'm testing/tinkering with, where this ability might be handy!

What do you mean by "Marquee Selection Editing"? :)

BTW, I am most definitely NOT a Linux Geek... (yet). I'm just a geek, muddling through something slightly familiar, and stumbling upon solutions as I go. ;) (Google is definitely my friend!) I sincerely tip my flimsy Windows XP propeller beanie to the VASTLY superior (multi-skilled) Geek. :) God bless you, Lamar, and thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge! :)