Re: Alternatives to Audacity and Audition
To: Tom Van Gorkom <tomvangorkom@gmail.com>, CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to Audacity and Audition
From: Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 10:49:13 -0400
On 08/09/2017 04:09 PM, Tom Van Gorkom wrote:
I wish we could run Audition on Linux. Anyone had success with that? Our automation (Rivendell) is on CentOS so I keep two computers up for the production rooms. We use Audacity for the quick basic edits of single/stereo tracts and Audition 3.0 for multi-track production.
Sorry for the really late reply; and sorry for its length, but I really love the product I use.

I use Harrison Mixbus for multitrack production on CentOS 7.  Works great.  Mixbus is based on the open source Ardour DAW, and is very much worth the price.  If you want to get really fancy, pay the extra for Mixbus32C, which includes 12 mixbuses (as opposed to the regular Mixbus' 8) and has a component-level circuit simulation of the Harrions 32C EQ on every channel.  The sound is fantastic.

I produce my weekend radio broadcast (2PM Saturdays, wgcr.net for streaming if you want to listen) with Mixbus, and have used it for several years.  It was a bit of a painful decision to use donations to purchase software and hardware in addition to paying for the broadcast time, but the donor in question approved my use of a particularly good donation for hardware and software; I firmly believe that what you do for the Lord should have the absolute best you can afford (the principle of firstfruits!), so I use a Roland R26 recorder with my old Shure SM10A for tracking, and I bought the upgrades to Mixbus 3 and 4 and Mixbus 32C 3 and 4 using that donation.  The SM10A has a squirrellish sound due to the small dynamic transducer, but the Mixbus EQ is able to make it sound much better, and the R26's preamps are the lowest-noise ones I have ever heard (that's why I bought the R26 even though it's not the cheapest out there; the SM10A has a terribly low output level that most preamps just cannot deal with without lots of noise).  I don't like hearing myself, and I am still pleased at the quality of the sound. I need to do some isolation work on the SM10A, but other than the jiggle noise from the earpieces it is crystal clear.

Mixbus just keeps getting better and better.  Labor day specials: Mixbus $29, Mixbus 32C $129. http://harrisonconsoles.lpages.co/specials/  (this is a good deal, by the way, and, no, I don't work for Harrison; I am just a very satisfied user; I've used Mixbus since version 1.0 in 2009)

Mixbus is cross-platform and runs on Linux, Windows, and macOS.  You can look at the features on this page: http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html (for Mixbus32C: http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus32c.html ).

My production setup for my broadcast includes using the Harrison bus compressor set in leveler mode (sounds hauntingly like a UREI LA-2A and works very smoothly for vocal leveling), and I've purchased and used many of the Harrison XT plugins over the years, including their de-esser and their pitch-tracking vocal character plugin.  I've purchased a few of the OvertoneDSP plugins; it's not widely known, but the OvertoneDSP FC70 plugin (Fairchild 670 emulation) is available for and runs on Linux.  I don't over-process; my audio is destined for three different processors, and I know those processors are going to cut, chop, and dice my audio anyway, so I've not used the FC70 very much, just two stages of the leveler (one on the track, one on the mixbus) and the Mixbus final limiter, with the K-14 meter staying in the yellow band for peaks seems to feed the three processors (an Omnia for the FM, and Optimod 9200 for the AM, and an Optimod PC 1100 for the Internet) with reasonably preprocessed but not crunched audio.

If it seems like I am gushing, that's because I AM GUSHING.  The workflow of Mixbus is exactly what I want, and the ease of getting a mix to gel with it is legendary.  If I could afford a control surface the mix would gel faster, I'm sure, but even with the mouse it feels like I'm mixing on a high-end console, not on a DAW.

If anyone would like to hear samples, let me know.

Follow-Ups: Re: Alternatives to Audacity and Audition
(Tom Van Gorkom <tomvangorkom@gmail.com>, 5 Sep 2017 16:08:30 -0000)