Re: SES-2 Satellite dropouts
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: SES-2 Satellite dropouts
From: Kevin Kidd <kkbroadcastengineering@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 07:59:39 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=sshbzkgu85mjTnuNIn1JRr9xvUAl5mVEWcBYB87hMnw=; b=UHksltWq2CdM7VWL4LSglmn7cDLGcEcFmQDB3sOm96m41TJX1ppk9nR80U/mWZUODE FVd66jIOS0zxqqJR1GSUlQzTD5rqKW3n9fJ8UBV0moTCz9uaqJv9PLjnW/60Bmbo+013 sT9eTGWsKOtclwRwzQQ/AMoR3LWYwB4IDN/N05hzwG4CZLH5HPlefKpqD6k8KNNqJa1u ZUiELlpqZ2oBwT1SC1KwJUgiGGKzgfKuFeDO+5enGyBV4N651n4EA4XLLEMoiIezjOIo toTD24kZjXydE7xOttRI16aUzYKr5NPZ4g2YZaNL6l1hyPtnqBOrK3aloOMtqYhzYGK+ ZJfw==
Wow.  Even if it were raining at both ends of the path that is still a lot of water.  I can only recall one time seeing severe rain fade on the old AMC-8.

IDRE, but it may have been the remnants of Ivan that had heavy enough rain over a wide enough area and the storms were so tall that I had several calls about sat drop outs on AMC8.  IIRC, there was also heavy rain in NYC (or where ever the main uplink was located).  I recall calculating that the AMC-8 path to this area could have potentially been thru about 15-20 miles of rain and hail depending on how tall the storms were along the path.

SES2 is at a much higher look angle for most of the country than AMC8 was, so the rain obstructed portion of the path would be much, much shorter.

Yep, that's a lot of rain...

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
Lawrenceburg, TN
AM Ground Systems Company  -  WD4RAT