Liebert 6KVA UPS
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Liebert 6KVA UPS
From: Chris Wygal <cmwygal@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 15:51:43 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=gm/0MvIIoOUT7ORE6LAqZbit7EnoRDgXovEC7ds5u9w=; b=N0LYO4nJ2009RqMjzn4SHRUfQVHzf8uP+LTCt5CGW0/yTSZ+vSPQFJDpTuP+6JlJ8A ysgIhuU6h8ze/4z4rKzQVjqyZUu+qCApdBi2YJQYSS4COT6lYBGCRINQcUKiTvmTIFmM 1KnmuWf/nkJsLi2WKteWBBcYoOuVI0WyXaaYbtdWFQWlPQ8zV9X5gwhSG/4nUXl03pJ4 C0VRg48ayqv488Xw7khtit3oiPd67oVYwUO1DCZEQkgL6kk4ZkABA0c3SVp96nzT1sPE /EF3AMk6CqwmIPa6bidb+ejX5XQ5eAHGD32OAcu3ib31gD4kClIqqAJrjEr9GqF3DoD8 M+FA==
Has anyone used a Liebert UPS in their facilities?

We have an EATON 6KVA unit and it introduces the most unbelievable noise into our audio plant.

Our electricians put an iso transformer on the output of it, which helped, but the transformer lives in our rack room and gets so hot you can't touch it. I had them come and bypass it last week. The room temperature is much better, but the noise in the building is back.

This isn't ground loop noise. When the batteries are bypassed in the EATON unit, the noise goes away. It sounds like a squared wave/frying eggs type sound. Really bizarre.

The unit basically puts out a dirty AC wave. EATON sent a rep and he said the unit is running within specs.

Also, you can hear the same noise physically emanating from the unit. Sounds like bacon cooking. Sure enough, the same noise gets into our audio, especially mics.

We have an AoIP plant. No long runs of audio anywhere. Shielding doesn't fix it either. If you move audio cables around AC cords you can hear this crazy noise come and go.

Anything plugged into street power is immune to this. The UPS is a mess. FWIW, I didn't specify this unit when it was installed.

All of that so say, I'm not looking for troubleshooting measures. I just want to go with Liebert and wanted to know if anyone has any success.

Chris Wygal
Audio Concepts <------side gig
Audio Production,Mixing & Mastering
@ChrisWygal