RE: HF Ham Radio recommendation
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: HF Ham Radio recommendation
From: Mike Shane <mshane@salemomaha.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 04:31:28 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Wow. Somebody else used a TBS-50 (right?).  My high school radio club had one of those.  There were 4 versions: TBS-50A, -50B, -50C, and -50D.  The D used a dynamic mic and had a speech preamp.  I think an external modulator section was required which we had in the form of a heap big home brew job with merc-vapor rectifier tubes.

The A and B were, I think, CW only - don't remember the difference between them.

The C, at least, operated on ALL the then-popular ham bands including 160, 6 and 2 meters.  Actually, the C was was what my high school club had.  Nobody had a carbon mic so I brought one of my brother's from home.  It had a PTT switch on it, which while not connected to anything externally, required you push and hold it to connect the mic.  Never saw any hand-held mic do that.  Of course, this particular PTT switch button was chrome, rounded, really hard to keep depressed and real easy to slip off.  Plus it sounded awful!  I think it was made by Calrad.  Not one of their best efforts.  They had a crystal mic I had and used well into the 80's and 90's.  That one was a winner.  My brother had bought it in 1959 new for $2 and change.  But I digress.

I don't think a rig was ever designed before that one with that many bands capability and none came out that I knew of after it until the IC-706 finally included all those bands.  For two-meter operation, a separate output jack was provided recessed into the cabinet and accessible through a hole in the top.  The idea was to take a stiff piece of 19" long wire with an RCA plug on the end and put that in the provided jack making a quarter-wave whip.  The reason for that extra jack: The Pi Network output wasn't used on 2, and using the extra jack took one of the tuning caps out of the circuit, IIRC.  This was even before my broadcasting career started so I may not recall correctly!

Pretty sure it had an 807 final (top freq for ICAS service was 125 MHz so operating on 2 meters was pushing it) and you were somehow limited by the rig to 30 watts on 2.  Slug tuning on all early stages with individual slugs for each band, except where using the same fundamental or multiplier output for 2 or more bands.

I first thought it was a POG, until I looked inside and read the manual and schematic.  It was a classic design.

Mike Shane  W7MSL
Salem Media Omaha