Re: HF Ham Radio recommendation
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: HF Ham Radio recommendation
From: John Stortz <ka4flx@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 20:28:19 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=VMuVhlXMqvOtwhtrhWlb/UBkhxi1nmDxCESD1DsxyVc=; b=aZahD4dhzAyw6aK6bUX5PtYDkHc69NbSEoFHjuA12DOOVDzhcEG4Ar1uOGgQEWCHOA V7mLcaBS/V/fgksVnC1gsjW9B4OWYgB+2oavk7TiqywhX393pqOwLW2CFHFPGwyI5iVl Jr8akdrrVOiiGtPkPuUlr7+kv4SLpcMX8zHNtuxrhqKcHGInxP+AP53y0W57Vo7Fituq wRGtYxM4sAtGrc9LHW5kH4P35ss874PpM9gxAWoXeqDtspEL4bP3761QcqRhBE3fKdmD K9Ik9ELwF7AGP245LGMFoUafCBzLS3YljnpOW0ePrnjbs6JKzzNm65CVKCFPvy5oD8sQ PS6A==
Yikes! With prices like that, it's no wonder there are fewer & fewer young hams...

A guy gave me my first rig as incentive to get the license. That was in 1980, but the 50W Harvey Wells Transmitter was made in 1948, I think. VFO was very sensitive to vibration & my ham stuff was on the opposite side of our son's bedroom. As a baby, he would rock himself to sleep. As he grew a bit, he would rock the entire crib, which would hit the wall. When that happened, my CW sounded like "DA-DI-BOING-DIT  DA-BOING-DI-DAH...."

Memories to chuckle about, now, but frustrating at the time. I think it's in my attic, but no plans of ever lighting up those tubes again.

John S.

*Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.
*~Oscar Ameringer~