Re: Barix over cell hotspot as STL backup
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Barix over cell hotspot as STL backup
From: Alex McKenzie <alex@kprd.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 11:14:34 -0500
Sounds like a complete exercise in futility!   Assuming you want decent audio consistently.

Barix has a rough time providing consistent audio over solid private paths, let alone the public internet, let alone a 4g hotspot with an extra 150ms of variable delay!

I have done it in an emergency when we had an STL failure before, and the only suggestion I can give is MONO 32kbps on a shoutcast server provided the least amount of dropouts with hardly acceptable audio, but it kept us on the air for a couple days at a remote  site with no other internet options.

We actually kept the Verizon 4g at one site and put a GatesAir IPLINK in and it's been rock solid as opposed to the Barix.

When using 4g as an STL buffer is probably the primary objective, of which barix has very very little.

Alex

Best,
Alex

Alex McKenzie