Re: New EAS Handbook
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: New EAS Handbook
From: Ken Bass <kalhradio@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 07:59:33 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=subject:to:references:from:message-id:date:user-agent:mime-version :in-reply-to:content-transfer-encoding; bh=3OIXwOHYGleUpRy6hjCkGqGg6MAC3kQVi+8qc7Jec5w=; b=VB0Xuj0Q0mMw7Z9CvDnRxXsNrtFyImdNgXyCANvxkniPsJzS8Ud4dF5bub07qVBDjH yx7SWl3fuDK2cEvTmVLnfU54mDnMHzB1TG/8k6djhJGW9H4y+qY1qICBOq5qmsX6WjAy Ja8mEA9M8U9bFFCg5tsosRfBfYNqc6LsWAupticuRnDjGMyYP98rOxzoYobtY5mCauIl rwulnKb/8s6c9iX83wNTZuiZo0v9gmWBrZ3AsrTCM3do5AyJCh890NSUIP7g8BXUAKzo +FLUINUbIQg/aFQtkAT072qSNjk1DiEriXx1lZBZFw4PkQusqKrfFkTlkTma53A3oNac lKrA==
I have received this notice from an engineering blog I belong to about the need to have a new EAS Handbook posted at your stations EAS operating control point.

Go to the link below and download the handbook, print it and fill in the required blanks with the information requested ASAP in order to stay compliant with EAS.

After the recent reminder sent out by the FCC about having you registration with the EAS reporting system, I suspected this was an indication that a new national test would be coming soon.

I supplied you with the registration information, log in and password in an email last year prior to the last national test.

If you wish to have me assist with the reporting of this test reception, please respond and I'll be happy to assist you.

For those stations that have the old Gorman-Redlich digital EAS units interfaced with the original Gorman-Redlich analog EAS units that did not have the prior test relay onto the air properly, that didn't get the old analog GR unit software upgraded successfully on-line, it will be necessary for me to schedule a trip to your station to TRY and get that software upgrade installed.

For those stations in this position, I strongly suggest that you consider upgrading to a new SAGE (Blue) Digital EAS unit as replacement for the old Gorman-Redlich units. The last time I priced a SAGE unit from Harris Broadcast (also now available from Broadcast Supply West which may be at a discounted price) it was around $2,000.00.

The SAGE units will require will also require on-site installation and programming, but, may eliminate the need for two trips to your site if the old G-R equipment doesn't update properly and you have to upgrade to the much more reliable SAGE unit anyway.

I expect the next national test will come in late September or October, about a year after the last national test. So, don't wait to download your new HANDBOOK and to get with me on what you need to do if you don't have a BLUE "SAGE" brand box now, or your G-R unit failed to relay the national test last year and we weren't able to successfully update the software on the old G-R analog unit.

Ken Bass

Broadcast Consultant