RE: Sunday morning worship service live broadcast?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: RE: Sunday morning worship service live broadcast?
From: Mike Shane <mshane@salemomaha.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 04:16:55 +0000
Accept-language: en-US

Ours have diminished over the past several years.  We had a live service delivered on ISDN for years and they decided to air a pre-recorded program a few years back which sounds pretty live, just not that week’s message.

Another church that had been feeding us with one of those “good old local phone loops” (actually an EQ’d 8kHz analog one-way point-to-point circuit) first had the circuit go out.  Century Link replaced it at no extra charge with the digital version which is basically nailed-up ISDN using their equipment instead just like the analog line it replaced.  Had some issues with that a time or two.

The church had been bugging me for some time to go to internet delivery.  A reconstruction of the sanctuary and the advent of Barix boxes gave us the opportunity to try that out.  Running a PCM16 stream and pretty much no problems.  Only problem was when someone doing a tech install at the church saw an apparently inactive port on the network switch and appropriated it.  Surprise!  No feed on Sunday.

The church shuts down all its gear when not in use including the Barix (which is fine with me) but that led to the misappropriation.  Once we found out what happened, ruffled feathers were smoothed pretty quickly!

Church #3 had been live for decades, originally over a dialup coupler, then by us borrowing their cable feed.  They dropped the cable feed and we tried to use a Comrex Hotline to do the broadcast.  They had worked before when we had a channel change by the cable outfit and didn’t have a way to receive the new channel for a few months.

They sure wouldn’t work this time.  I heard noises I’ve never heard a Hotline make before!  So since they make a DVD recording every week, it was decided they would deliver a copy of that to us each week.  That “temporary” arrangement has been going on for several months now and everybody seems to be happy with it so I’m not going to rock that boat for now!

We ran staffless for a time with some of these remotes, but decided it was worthwhile to have someone there and we have a pair of part-time guys who rotate week-to-week and have been doing this for the better part of 10 years now.  Since the DVDs and the other church guarding its LAN a little better, there have been few phone calls to me while in church myself!  So now to get MY church on the air, right?

Mike Shane

Salem Media Group Omaha