Re: Sunday morning worship service live broadcast?
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Sunday morning worship service live broadcast?
From: Ed Smith <edsmith@joychristian.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 08:09:17 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id :subject:to; bh=Fxii+5/MTRNKND3++iEBm8021emSOWbx7GmyMkPYe9o=; b=gnFYkqCJJ/CXhFEp28xCtxhr/8bzj+SbMODc93tsdZ4nbtxCIdNHJAPaQsRPnGGysh aS4DTvs5ZOCvwb1+4lWKpJGByLl6rUVNB6WBZrzeMIM9Ih7Oi/aoDuGmjeKzP9pDBXpt 45Q6rRhOn9y8LSqqSF0r4aI1PbgBO6Ely7vChRmLtaLSQf7gSQYJpQX6zSdM1yxgpnmp zU9aL/svV4Kp8/uV0DTmigqdK8DSRrPCHq08cBb65jEcVTe4TfzRKP25X2mkSh71MLCB hsAghSJF21gYN7IGj13tNHLu2CKoct0swUD3wtKiLY2qJYCedJ/w0DWcJU115aMJu0vd ngMw==
Turbo has a valid point.
Back in our AM station days a few years ago, we experienced this phenomenon a lot.  Live worship services were the worst.  After complaints about the audio "pausing" during service (I was a pastor myself at the time so I didn't hear it and the station was automated), I stayed home one Sunday to investigate.  Sure enough, the audio just stopped....a minute or two at a time....it was the most horrible thing I'd ever witnessed.  I logged into the desktop via Tight VNC and observed the "sound guy" surfing the web....no less than 7 tabs open in Internet Explorer (the box was a Compaq with 256 megs ram and Windows 2000).  I opened Notepad to demand he get off the computer (there was a huge note attached to the top of the CPU..) and he kept closing it.  I finally typed the note on my computer and transferred the file to the desktop and opened it.  It was very stinging.....I didn't know they'd changed sound guys (they were supposed to let me know if they did that).
Long story short, I met with the pastor the following week to discuss the situation and the music minister showed up (the pastor asked him to come). It turns out the music minister was the culprit!  He was red faced and treated me like I was a visitor from....well, you figure it out.  They dropped the program and demanded that we credit them for the past three weeks for that month.  I let them know this was their fault because they refused to follow the directives we had agreed upon (and they had done for 3 years until their sound guy left)..... I declined their demand and told them so.  They skipped out on the bill.  Yes, a church just wouldn't pay the bill.  We finally wrote it off.
Never again.  We have a live broadcast now, but the Sound guy is a volunteer here at our flagship station and is the best I've ever seen.  No dead air, levels consistent and they do it right.  And, churches / preachers pay in advance.  No pay, no play.  Not bitterness talking, just a guy that has a large pile of unpaid bills from churches and preachers.....I can't understand people sometimes.....

BTW....we use computers to stream (encode) and receive live services utilizing Windows Media Encoder and Winamp at the station to play it.  Encoder set to come up when the computer is booted at the church; the sound guy just starts the encoder minimum 10 minutes prior to service time and the play computer at the station starts the stream via a windows scheduler program about 3 minutes prior.  The play computer is a dedicated computer fed to the station's audio switcher.  Works like a charm.

Ed Smith
Joy Christian Radio
Office 931.222.1633