Re: Re: Studio Window Supplier
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Re: Studio Window Supplier
From: Mark Croom <markc@newmail.kinshipradio.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 13:40:42 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=newmail-kinshipradio-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=34HWUUuNvLHEZgkUBCUxelvtMvMSDXBUPGLtxn/z5VM=; b=v0TNIrxhw0miVN0/pVztCChZC83WgJlkViUxx0FFyowhNo6dFc0FDcWHfYHLuynXLB d2VBKhk5bZXKYqrBa5ymtJG0urI884AS2jaPzbDtIVi0R1umAdtUOtDeCllHi1mHScer f2KEwLVLX1ODbREHZP1eCyq1msbHrKF0Vps093+hfVOOJl11VifH6z7/y6JMfuAn0T8P lOzIa50xjFIebynkYl8L6DeCxqIGxuDNpnWBbwpTgft/fZoqTLU4vu1WGGDzAN0m8XHW Xe7h5WRc3frMOVa/Mrf2c25cu8UhgrQIZQA2mjCPp8WbXR0W/kGp7xVptDD6Wj/H3uL/ TBTw==
This past week I had a contractor build me three studio windows to specifications he and I came up with as a compromise between ideal and affordably buildable. I was not there to supervise the actual construction so I don't yet know what they look like. I hope to pass through town on Monday on the way to another site where I'll be solving a transmitter problem. The contractor has a good eye and has done some really excellent work on other projects in town so I expect they will look very good.

I don't know what they cost separately because he was the general contractor for the studio project and priced them in to the larger project. He seemed to understand what I was asking for. I even asked that if possible he make a way to disassemble the windows for cleaning between the panes -- this has been an ugly thing in virtually every studio I've been in that has custom windows between studios or studios and common spaces. No matter how well sealed they are, they get foggy in between over time and they haven't ever been designed to take apart in the ones I've had. I'm hopeful his system will work well so we can have the advantages of the dual pane, spaced/angled glass, as well as the convenience of being able to get in there and make them spic and span once a year or so. I suggested that for the removable pane we not caulk, but use a flexible foam insulation that would compress when the screws were tightened.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he decided to execute the plan.

Mark
MN

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org> wrote:
On Jul 13, 2017, at 8:20, Jesse Ruggles <Jesse.Ruggles@moody.edu> wrote:
> We’re renovating studios in Nashville and on the list is to install two new windows between studios to expand functionality.  Our timeline is fairly short to get the work done here and I’ve been unable to locate a supplier for the studio window assemblies with less than 6-7 week lead.  We’re looking for either a pre-assembled vertical glass and angled glass window, or a field assembled unit.  Anyone have a good source they can recommend that might be able to beat 6-7 week lead?

Jesse:

It's not preassembled or a field-assembled kit, but have you considered simply spec'ing what you want to the local contractor?

At my last employer (a really large radio network), we would simply specify the specific construction technique as something the local [construction] contractor would build directly.  I don't have the plans at hand, but it basically involved a set of blueprint details that showed how two panes of 1/2" glass would be laid in the walls at non-vertical/non-parallel angles with appropriate caulking and sound-proof weather-stripping all around the edges.  Of course, the thickness of the wall had to be properly accounted (e.g. due to floating/double wall construction, double layers of 5/8" drywall on both sides, heavy insulation inside the walls, and carpet-style covering on either side) to ensure that the overall window thickness would allow the two panes to have the appropriate angle and clearance inside the window trim.

It worked pretty well at isolating sound, and since it was field-constructed from scratch, the trim and finish ended up matching the rest of the studio build very well.

Sherrod Munday