Re: Studio Window Supplier
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Studio Window Supplier
From: Sherrod Munday <smunday@ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:40:26 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=ieee-org.20150623.gappssmtp.com; s=20150623; h=mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to; bh=/J+Gbq+3cfunEadoBiCFBae50ipseOrCkP7La9RA3d0=; b=uWuNyk+CsU+RIxZOScZoPIXrA7aEAGRP5wb6LxTFFkcRN/Yj8nuHHs+uz8+PTnCSdk LlGiiijFw52R2rkACPb1p4hpvRR+IROuqPIakWh5NiOrfeNY3QEYBbP1HWls2CgcGsWo 2wdrTfmCaEDoCq2Lq9I+vYG5myvaQZsWGOX5nhbgnU9dil32b40WYvLknnFe77hetUkK kaa2DnhWkJpa3PSu2BAgH3qFAf3bkHgvWscyU5W5zGoqBuR1bOPmkAxjI+a+y9+Xa7ra Z50wtqmhwTefAZ9gGrqPrcbIsTOWjW0sqhqbnHoCRL01Yw5rwnfSQXFmOBZKXcdBLKdz kcXw==
On Jul 13, 2017, at 8:20, Jesse Ruggles <Jesse.Ruggles@moody.edu> wrote:
> We’re renovating studios in Nashville and on the list is to install two new windows between studios to expand functionality.  Our timeline is fairly short to get the work done here and I’ve been unable to locate a supplier for the studio window assemblies with less than 6-7 week lead.  We’re looking for either a pre-assembled vertical glass and angled glass window, or a field assembled unit.  Anyone have a good source they can recommend that might be able to beat 6-7 week lead?

Jesse:

It's not preassembled or a field-assembled kit, but have you considered simply spec'ing what you want to the local contractor?

At my last employer (a really large radio network), we would simply specify the specific construction technique as something the local [construction] contractor would build directly.  I don't have the plans at hand, but it basically involved a set of blueprint details that showed how two panes of 1/2" glass would be laid in the walls at non-vertical/non-parallel angles with appropriate caulking and sound-proof weather-stripping all around the edges.  Of course, the thickness of the wall had to be properly accounted (e.g. due to floating/double wall construction, double layers of 5/8" drywall on both sides, heavy insulation inside the walls, and carpet-style covering on either side) to ensure that the overall window thickness would allow the two panes to have the appropriate angle and clearance inside the window trim.

It worked pretty well at isolating sound, and since it was field-constructed from scratch, the trim and finish ended up matching the rest of the studio build very well.

—
Sherrod Munday
<smunday@ieee.org>

Follow-Ups: Re: Re: Studio Window Supplier
(Nathaniel Steele <nathaniel.steele@icloud.com>, 14 Jul 2017 15:26:29 -0000)
RE: Re: Studio Window Supplier
(Jesse Ruggles <Jesse.Ruggles@moody.edu>, 14 Jul 2017 15:27:22 -0000)
Re: Re: Studio Window Supplier