Re: Time to upgrade
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Time to upgrade
From: JIm Turvaville <jimturbo61@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 13:26:27 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s2048; t=1499088388; bh=PnqvgFgMnCQHUIAIIsIfX3zTJmmvByIGehwHKyprL4Y=; h=Date:From:Reply-To:To:In-Reply-To:References:Subject:From:Subject; b=ib599dMC7m6S2M8aNi2BmQqQd02HznYoAhQ38tNseI6hmeW9VKZhUOtpJRK7+PftkY6fC7xZXv+h1Oyh447xN75PSjQ3tsLso74RTOAwLSAEUIhW/CWVnc+0ydjLUD4uuhznuDn4+Bftn7zb0t6od0QgLgpbpQvdPjvBobQVxyHH4DERAvnE3eQkkd7e+ZIQ0ZaTlwZXZxVkxAERz3uAsQNvhaHWK4OFfSpkEzKdsjEW46IEtkh+Z1S9wZpRjHwXgI1ccMr35VtCjF7wGgc6lMGPo4ckPuDRy2dTU2ixtgu2Cf8TofZCY8KPURhqbDHl/Jaj8IAEMGQ+GuW25WwfGA==
Dan:

I was drug kicking and screaming away from our old reliable XP platform, and now have all of my station's machines as Win7 Pro.  Because of the quasi-monopoly between Microsoft and PC manufacturers, they legally can no longer sell you any new PC's with anything but Windows 10 installed.  To get Windows 7 on a machine it has to be refurbished hardware.  But that does not mean you can not soop it up and make a high class machine out of it.

I stumbled across a source for Dell factory remanufactured machines (www.discountelectronics.com) and there are probably several other places to do the same.  But I was able to buy business class machines (most of them point of sale variety) with plenty of USB ports and a real onboard serial port for switchers, RDS, etc. I echo Dave's comment to avoid Win10 if at all possible - it's just not a platform that seems to be build for what we all use our computers.  Future versions of it might make that untrue, but for the foreseeable future I am using only Win7 Professional. And we all know that Win8 was a classroom experiment gone bad...

I also know first hand that any 2.x version of BSI Simian will not run on any 64-bit OS, nor on Win7 or higher.  So be prepared to pay the $1k upgrade fee to them, which is probably not the biggest hurdle you will have in your upgrade process.

Bet to you my friend!

Jim "Turbo" Turvaville
SBE Certified Radio Engineer
Turbo Technical Services