Re: Time to upgrade
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Time to upgrade
From: Joel Force <wpgmit@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 07:05:02 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=zcBvQ14NuTsJOIw62hrhhxjgLjrcFua1WWRtRbZybxo=; b=jUM16OxsaGo2cTBMeVzTtvEROebXQ/TYZfaOjeHgUNMeM/acjCqreEEOGHe9ZcTDpj PkipAFdgAkl30mLFkRHlSZ5AdQ90Nix5Y3FQLNS/GpZX++9rrsSkYVXrcz7UpHo7JEV3 j5W4wtzBYqUIST/kn/AAO9WhuEBrDj5vS0vgqTg3LGlBNwTCC7sEl5oE3mmO4bBFSM2e cC0JcnlSyAvZ3sNKDeZLL9MVTS4/rPFFOKerA9GYe5mYDvQFIdweUiWFux8JaVNJmWlM jalM2FSJZyJ4Jg2VVnm8DFShM5xBCHIuejZtV9Lm7aDjBS3f7DFwZTUMEwX/82Sh1FrP Sz6Q==
In regards to Windows 10, if you get the Pro edition you can set it up to notify you of updates but you choose when to download them. That way you're in control. I have successfully used the following settings on several Windows 10 Pro machines.

Here are the directions:

1. Press the Windows key and type "group." Edit group policy should appear under the search list. Open it.

2. Click Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates.

3. Under Configure Automatic Updates select "Enabled" and  "2 - Notify for download and notify for install." Apply the changes.

4. Now there's one more crucial step! For these settings to work go to Settings > Updates & security > Windows Update and click on "Check for updates."

Now when updates become available you will get a popup notification that you have updates to download. This has proven to be very helpful because I can choose when to download the updates. Once you begin the download, Windows takes over and you have to see it through. Remember, if you use these settings, make sure to still download the updates when you're able! You don't want your machine to be vulnerable to attacks. This way YOU decide when to go through the Windows Update process.

Joel Force
IT Coordinator
WPGM & WBGM Radio
https://wpgmfm.org/