Re: Bird Meter Calibration
To: CRTech <crtech@crtech.org>
Subject: Re: Bird Meter Calibration
From: Alan Kilgore <wrvm.engineer@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2017 08:10:33 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=message-id:from:date:to:subject:in-reply-to:references:mime-version :content-transfer-encoding; bh=5ZOg1BWSKfVANDvjFSTCvgWPN5SVQAXUsas+HBtn6rs=; b=viJ5etenXtRbSGX8f4CaXy7D6+5iXOL/dv9tdpRwEgXHSf2mfy/bHKQ+d8YWIBeJN2 r2Rv+dD0kOr68a6BvdaoNqx9c0wIqxCFLWKg5EOD3FGracTNPxYHSWOpDTTQHTe5BM6c TqHHvwcSER8HuiAXOWBsuShlF64SUqMClJfrKhD3aD/GVVx1AVXLPA7dc7wvRCUQa9FK 2qxZAU4HH103x/LHyzgfpJdq1XAbSp5cUmwH4o+byS0j2LV37Xv46oWRIWIsESJtKILD Hza6s61b9XSHSeHZzm0gBsYh6a2/+ceqD/6hspSMny4cU1kujfyvLmgDKOt8v86PIqBy Pvxw==
Hello, John, Steve and other readers.

You can send the slug in for its own calibration. Unless you have had some damage to the line section or meter and your readings no longer seem normal, the slug is usually all that needs to be re-calibrated. But, it's not cheap. I instead bought replacement slugs. Of course, this assumes that you are talking about the legacy slug sample system.

The slugs for measuring the output of our 30kW Tx seem to change calibration far more often than for any other location. Being left in the active line section seems to be a symptom. I have not figured out why but this is our only transmitter near this power level.

Any slugs that stay on the shelf seem to remain stable. So, I learned to keep a new set of slugs on the self as my "standard" to periodically compare to the active pair of slugs. When the active pair drifts significantly from typical readings, I pop the cover off of the active slugs and adjust the internal potentiometer for the active slug to duplicate the reading from the slugs used as the on-shelf standards. Then I press the cover back in place on each active slug, being careful to observe orientation.

You can check calibration of the meter movement by observing the full scale reading at its stated rating (example: FS=100uA). Apply that amount of current across the meter terminals with the cable to the line section disconnected. I calculate the resistance needed in series with a regulated DC Voltage and use a fixed resistor in series with a trim pot. I adjust the pot for exactly full scale on the Bird meter movement. Then I use a trusted digital multimeter to measure the DC Voltge from the power supply (while still connected to Bird meter) then measure the series resistance between the power supply and the meter movement (after disconnected from Bird meter). Ohms Law (I=E/R) tells me the actual current for FS so that I can determine the meter's measured error:

I[meas] = measured current
I[fs] = stated FS current on meter

% Measured Error = (I[meas] - I[fs]) * 100% / I[fs]

Alan Kilgore, CPBE
WRVM Chief Engineer